Aurora fan setup WITHOUT controller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aurora fan setup WITHOUT controller

I'm getting ready to purchase one of the Aurora fan kits, and I'm looking for some information on how they are connected when not using the controller box. I know that it includes a cable to connect them directly to the motherboard's addressable header (compatible board with addressable header), but how are they connected to fan headers to receive power and signal for actually spinning?

Hello,

By connecting directly to an addressable header on a motherboard, things like the signals are controlled by the motherboard software. Keep in mind though, that you will need a motherboard with an addressable header. RGB (4-pin) headers will not work.

Comment

• jonathan13
      jonathan13 commented
      Editing a comment
      I understand that the motherboard software will control the lighting via the addressable header, but what controls the rotational spinning of the fans? They don't have a traditional 3 or 4 pin connector obviously. Is the rotation still controlled via the controller box?

Some software can have basic fan speed controls, however, the turbo mode for Aurora can only be controlled via the control box.

Comment

I think I might not be conveying my question in the best manner. The addressable RGB header does not send any signal to the fan to spin as there are zero fan control options in Asus's Aura software. How does the fan know to spin? Does it use the signal from the addressable RGB header to tell itself to spin or does the fan somehow need to be connected to a regular 4 pin fan header, and if so, how is that accomplished?

Comment

Originally posted by jonathan13 View Post
        I think I might not be conveying my question in the best manner. The addressable RGB header does not send any signal to the fan to spin as there are zero fan control options in Asus's Aura software. How does the fan know to spin? Does it use the signal from the addressable RGB header to tell itself to spin or does the fan somehow need to be connected to a regular 4 pin fan header, and if so, how is that accomplished?
        Ahhh, ok. I think I know your question now. So correct, the LEDs and power is what is generated with the addressable header. What provides the actual spinning aspect is the 4-pin fan connector. Since Aurora fans are PWM fans, you are able to control the speed with the motherboard software. I hope that makes sense, feel free to ask follow up questions if you have any more questions.

Comment

I'm so glad you are understanding me!! Sorry for the confusion! My only follow up question is since the fans do not have traditional PWM cables coming off of them, how do they connect to the motherboard to get the PWM signal? Or do they connect to the control box for this even though the control box does not control the lighting since they would be connected to the addressable header for that?

Comment

Actually, the control box is not needed at all if you are using the addressable header. In regards to the PWM cable isn't traditional for sure, but it still functions in the same manner as normal cables.

Comment

Is there an adapter required to connect the fan to the PWM header on the board? I see the non-traditional cable coming from the fan and going into the control box and then a PWM cable going from the box to the motherboard, but if the box is removed, then how is that non-traditional cable plugged directly into the motherboard in the absence of the controller box?

Comment

I think I may have just found the answer to my own question. Looking at the picture in this link, it looks as though the adapter cable to plug the fan into the addressable header, may also be the adapter cable to plug the fans into PWM control. Am I correct? It looks as though the longest cable in the middle of this picture has the non traditional connector on one end and then the addressable header and PWM header connectors on the other end in a Y configuration.
                https://estore.in-win.com/uploads/pr...ire-set_01.jpg

Comment

Correct, the cable is the one that forms the Y configuration. Haha, guess you figured it out on your own. :P

Comment

I very much appreciate you taking the time to talk me through it. I don't think I would have figured it out had it not been for your help.

Comment

It's why we're here.

Comment

Working...
                      X